Monday, September 16, 2013

Healing Autumn

Progress is always a wonderful thing.

When Autumn first came here just over a week ago, she did not bark.  She stuck to me like glue.  She would scream like death was coming for her if I had to kennel her to go to the store......she would of course wait until after I'd left and I'd hear this pitiful wailing when I was coming to my door to unlock it.  She wouldn't go poop or pee very often if something distracted her.

So far, I've gotten her to the point where, she might feel a little anxious when I'm in the bath, but the crying is now minimal, which is wonderful since I don't really like smelling bad........NO MATTER WHAT YOU MAY HAVE HEARD TO THE CONTRARY!  Just kidding :P.  She will stand being kenneled overnight, though getting her in on her own is not happening.  She will, however, tolerate me placing her in, giving her a lot of praise, adjusting her blankies, giving her chewies and treats, and petting her before I tell her it's ninitime.  I'm not sure if she sleeps when she is in there, but I tend to get up during the night for the bathroom or whatever, and if she cries I get her out and let her lie with me for a while til I'm ready to get up get up.

I've begun taking her out without her asking me to take her out, and that seems to actually be helping with the bathroom anxiety.  She's going more consistently while I'm taking numerous trips out with her.  She doesn't ALWAYS go, but then, I wouldn't expect her to.  I'm seeing less pooplets, so I think this is possibly a good thing for her, so she knows she is not bothering me by asking to go out.  I can't confirm of course, but it seems some of this anxiety could stem from being lost, or even from having been left alone for long periods of time and then being reprimanded for going potty on the floor....or where ever she was kept.

Autumn has found her voice too, now I just have to help her learn how to use it a bit more quietly.  Since I can sometimes have insomnia, it's not a great thing for her to be barking at the trees, bushes, shadows etc at 2 am 4 am etc.

She still sticks primarily to me, but she's more free now.  She's getting down to play, drink and explore, though the periods are brief.  She's a little more curious about the kitties, but she tends to snap at fatman whereas the little kitty she's more tolerant of.  I'm not sure where that comes from, perhaps a feral cat was not nice to her when she was lost, and maybe it was a big one.  Neither fatman nor babykitty has ever seen a dog except through the window, so they tend to be a little careful around her though they won't run unless she charges at them.  The times she does this is typically if she's by my side, or if food is nearby.  I tend to spoil the animals, so they are all allowed some people food if I think it won't hurt them to have some.  I'm trying to give them some near each other and reassuring them all when they get it, so they know no one will go forgotten.

Fatman (Loki) is a big baby, so even though he's probably 5 times her size, he runs away if she shows any aggression towards him.  I'd really like them all to be friends, since it might be nice for her to have someone to play with besides me.  And they could keep one another warm.  Babykitty (Ciara) is a bit more adventurous and walks all over me even when lilpup is by my side.  I'm sure it vexes her that mommy has a new hip attachment, since that's always typically been her spot.  She's finding ways around it though, by sitting on the other side on the chair arm when she wants attention.  Autumn isn't as quick to snap at her, but usually they're both in arms reach and I can pet them both and subdue any inclination to want to snap more easily in these interactions.  That may be one reason, the other may be that babykitty is smaller than her, so perhaps she perceives her as less threat.  It could also be that since she's taken her place at my side, she may have more of that smell so it could be a more comforting or acceptable relationship.

I don't know what the relationship was with the previous owners.  I've had no response from anyone claiming her.  It is obvious that someone played with her at some time since she will fetch and play tug to some extent.

I have been leaving her out of the kennel when I'm only gone for short periods, and she seems to be doing well.  I'm not sure what they all do while I'm gone, but nothing seems to be disturbed when I get back.  She will sit and stay when I go to the door to leave, so she has been taught some of the fundamental things a lil dog needs to know.  Either that, or she's just one smart lil lady, and knows what I want her to do.

She loves car rides, so I may take her with me to Pet Smart to look at car seats, and stop by the vet to ask if she may have a chip in her.

No comments:

Post a Comment