Thursday, March 21, 2019

Two New Books

Usually, when I introduce a new book, I color all the leading pages and show them.

This time, I took a page out of the first book to color it, and will do the lead ins the next time I reintroduce it with more art from it.  The first book is Rainforest Escape by Jade Gedeon.  It's a very well done book on lovely, thick, one sided water color paper.  The entries also have perforated edges for easy removal either before or after coloring/painting them.  There are several large pictures too, that have fold out pages so that you don't have to try and piece them together after coloring or painting them separately.

I decided I'd try a new method to color the entry I'm providing from this book.  Since it is made for water colors, I thought I'd try a layering method with markers first, since the paper is designed to help soak up excess moisture.  I then layered some colored pencils on top of the marker, and finished it off with some glitter gel pens for a little additional depth.  I took several pictures of it, so that I can hopefully share the way the layering shows different colors, along with a little glitter.  I also, decided that I'd try to create the blurred effect of some flowering plant in the background, and then filled in around that with some colors to have a sky effect.  I'm not the best artist out there, so I'm pretty sure that other people could have done a far better job than I, but there is no wrong way to color.  It's about enjoying your project, allowing it to affect and lower stress, anxiety etc.  It's also a great way to get both sides of your brain working in cooperation with one another for some great and creative problem solving outcomes.

The second book I think is aimed more at the male population that may enjoy coloring as a method of stress relief, creativity etc.  It's called Illustrations by T It's Just a Flirt.  It has varying girls inside with flirtatious expressions.  I'm sure that anyone would enjoy this book, but given the subjects of the art, I think it was aimed at giving men some acceptable outlets for their creativity as well.  The paper is medium quality, one sided, but not perforated, so I'd use care when tearing away a picture if you wanted to remove it before or after coloring.  I left the bottom of the picture intact since it indicates the artist that originally drew the picture.






As always I'm still working on other entries to share, the next of which, I think will deal with some of the issues I have with recurring dreams with regards to PTSD, and sleep issues.  Until next time, enjoy and share your art and stories with me too!

No comments:

Post a Comment