Wednesday, March 6, 2019

A Few New Books

I was going to wait and post 4 new books all at once.

I changed my mind because I'm also working on a family photo album for FB and my family and friends to chuckle at and enjoy.  I'm sure my sister will have to correct me on some of the dates and places, because she's much better at remembering those things.  I'd love for her, mom, Bruce, Dave, Ryan and everyone to be able to contribute if they have some to share, but not everyone has time to go and photograph every picture they have and then try and sharpen them etc so they're viewable on the interwebs LOL.  I've got my work cut out for me there.  Some of the pictures are so wonderful, but when you photograph them they become a little blurred looking.  I'm hoping that I can correct that so everyone can get the fullest enjoyment from them possible.

I wish I had more from my time in school, but not being one to go to parties or on dates kind of limited the ones I have for that time, but I'd welcome entries from others, and love looking at pages from others that remind me of this or that time.  My time was primarily taken up with babysitting, working at the YMCA child development center, doing homework, and studying.  I know, I was a very exciting and unforgettable girl.....rofl.  Perhaps others will be prompted to add to, or share so we can all enjoy running through all those wonderful memories of times when life was just a little easier, and problems were something our parents dealt with on our behalves.

At any rate, I do have two new books to share while I'm doing work on that album, and also working on some entries from another two books before continuing with the Christmas card book.  The first book is one from an artist that goes by Whitestag, and their books are numbered rather than a formal title.  The book I have to share is number 6 in the series.  It's a rather Halloweeny type book, and is a bit fun to color.  I think all the books bear the title Misfits along with the series numbers.  The pages are a medium thickness and are one sided so I think any type of medium would work with them, but I would advise either removing pages or putting paper/wax paper between the pages if you're using ones with more wetness to protect from bleed through effects.  I always do this just because I'm on the anal side, and like to make sure that I'm protecting my past work, as well as preserving the integrity of future works.  Unless I'm coloring with my niece, or someone requests a specific picture from a book, I tend to go front to back.  Sometimes it's not easy to be such a creature of habit, especially if there's a particular picture you're really looking forward to getting to color.

The second book is Dragons and Other Mythical Creatures by Chris Tomlin.  I'm including some of the art in the book meant to lead into it as well, because it was so much fun to look at when I was getting ready to color the first picture myself.  The pages are of a very good thickness, and definitely any medium would be excellent.  I'll have fun exploring the possibilities once I can get back to that book.  The paper is of a very smooth composition, so I would be careful with some mediums as they might tend to take longer than normal to dry, or they might not absorb into the paper as readily as others, so I'd definitely take my time working on any picture with mediums such as water colors, gel pens, markers etc, that could be ruined if you don't account for the time it may take to dry as you're working.  I had a lot of fun with the first picture which was a partial drawing of a dragon, and decided to use primary colors for the majority of the picture, with a splash of secondary colors thrown in here and there just because I could.









As usual, I hope you enjoy the pictures I share as much as I enjoy coloring them and sharing them with you.  I look forward to seeing other's works as well, whenever they share with me!  Until next time, don't be afraid to try out other types of mediums, because there's absolutely no right or wrong way to be artistic!

No comments:

Post a Comment