Saturday, October 28, 2017

Halloween Reveal

I promised a reveal.

I'll first post the full costume, though I didn't get to wear it all today, and then I'll post all the bits and pieces that I got throughout the year in order to make the full costume.  I'll also post the one from today since today's party was a queen for a day party instead of the regular Halloween party.  I may yet decide to try and dye it lavender, but I haven't decided yet.  At any rate, I'm sure you'd rather see pictures than listen to my rattling on, so here you go, the reveal of the full costume.


So there you have it Bo Peep!  It took some doing to get all the things together, and to transform other pieces.  First I got the staff and some items to transform it to the decorative one you see here.  I was fortunate to find some flowers on clearance that worked out perfectly since they were in a vine form.  I had also gotten some ribbon that had wire on the ends that helped me wrap the two together to come up with the whole effect.








When I'd wrapped the flowers and ribbon together I felt like something was missing and found a bow to add to the whole thing.

Next I thought, how can I have a flock of sheep?  So I'd collected some sheep here and there, and also found a neat little planter that was an amish wagon with working wheels, had an extra garland of flowers and used them to "hide" the sheep inside the wagon.  I added a sheep dog to watch over them, and tada, Bo Peep lost her sheep......all except Julep because she was too big for the wagon and gets to be carried instead.




I forgot to take a photo of the wagon before I added the sheep, but I think you can see there's a bench seat, and see the sheep hiding among the flowers.  I may add some tulle to it since the handle is shorter, with a bow to wrap round my wrist to pull it along behind.

Every good Bo Peep needs a hat.  You most often see costumes with what is called a Poke bonnet/hat.  I had one that was perfect from mom, which was a sun bonnet and I added pink tulle in order to transform that into a poke bonnet.






For the inside of the bonnet, I used the pink glitter tulle and sort of wadded it and used a running couch stitch to run all over the inside from one side to the other.  That way, I could preserve mom's hat with as little invasive substance as possible, and no damage.  On the outside I added pink tulle to the hat band then also added some of the traditional bows on the sides that you'd typically find with a poke bonnet, and ran the tulle underneath so it could fasten under the chin. I left one side longer so it would look more natural tied on the side, this also helped to form the u shape around the face, and the uplifted top portion of the bonnet.

Lastly, since I'm a pink hatter, I'm supposed to wear lavender with a pink hat.  Since I couldn't find a pattern for the dress I wanted to create, I ran into a costume, but that came only in white, which is the reason for me pondering if I should try and dye the fabric.  I did add lavender gloves and a wrap to make up for the fact that the dress wasn't the right color.




The dress does have a train and a button in back that you can use to shorten the train, BUT it still has one even then, so I added a little elastic to the end of the train so I could fasten it to my wrist and try and avoid being stepped on.  It did seem to work today, though I'd not accounted for low heels.....really no heels, and so I do think I need to shorten the dress at least a bit.  I had originally thought about shortening to around the knee, and buying white yoga pants and lace to make the bloomers you typically see on some Bo Peep costumes, but I thought, I'll just be a more grown up version of Bo Peep.

Of course, today as I said, most of the additions were left behind since the party had changed to a different type.  But I still wanted to share, I'm not sure if I'll wear it next year of if my other idea will be next year.....but if I wear this, that means I have 2 years to work on the next idea and perfect that one.  I didn't have a hat today, but rather used a flower clip in pink to pull my hair up.  That served as a little cheat to the traditional hat we're supposed to wear, since I didn't have a pink tiara....but I may get one JUST IN CASE I go to another Queen for a Day party :P LOL.  Or if I just feel like being a queen or princess.  Here is is as worn today.


And now you have it, Bo Peep according to me, and a dress fit for a queen on other days!

No comments:

Post a Comment